Blog Post #2; Bringing it all together

My research has two main dynamics. The first: the concrete aspect of hotel relativity. Simply, how does the Holiday Inn in the Haidian District of Beijing compare to that of an American Holiday Inn? To make the parallel as close as possible, I am using the Holiday Inn of Manhattan West Side, New York city as a comparison. This is because New York City’s population is just shy of Beijing’s, making the populace correlation as similar as possible.

Lobby View

These concrete factors include the obvious– accessibility, location and size of the building, the amenities available within the building, the number of rooms and floors, the staff’s presence and performance– this list goes on and on. Though there were many aspects in this category for which I needed to gather information, this conrete dynamic was the easier of the two, so it was this I initially focused on.

My second focus however, was the more difficult dynamic– that of the abstract factors. This entailed the actual success of the hotel. After all, a hotel can be as luxurious as can be from the front entrance, the lobby, or even from within the hallways, but does that ensure guest satisfaction? To get this answer, I needed not only my own observations of the guests that were coming and going, but I also needed feedback. Additionally, it was important to me to not just focus on the clientele’s responses, but also that of the staffs. This is because I believe for a business to be truly successful, people have to actually enjoy working for the company, to truly want success for the company. This said, the satisfaction of both the guests staying at the hotel and the staff working at the hotel were both big parts of my fieldwork.

Concerning the guests, I wanted to gather opinions on both foreigners and native CHinese clientele to compare the similarities and differences of their responses. This may have proven to be difficult as there seemed to be few foreigners working or eve staying at the Holiday Inn. Both the clientele and guests are mostly Chinese. Luckily, the Holiday Inn was the hotel in which Molly Destaphany stayed when she came to Tsinghua to review our program for the Reves Center. She was able to give me her opions on the hotel and details about her personal stay.

For the Chinese native responses, I spoke with a variety of people from a variety of positions. At first, it was a younger, male Chinese staff member who seemed to be at the bottom of the ladder of authority.Next was a front desk worker, a Chinese woman in her twenties. She was who I first spoke with about my research. Third was the floor manager; I’m not sure of her official title, but she was the “boss” of the front desk staff. Next, I spoke with a guest– Chinese girl that was a little younger than me and was a prospective Tsinghua student. Lastly, I spoke with two more female staff members. Both also seemed to be in their early twenties. One’s job was to coordinate the restaurant in the back of the lobby, and the other, though dressed in a uniform, was not really “working” at the time, but rather accompanying the first.

Entrance facing the Northeast

In my final paper I plan to compare and contrast the differences and similarities of both these abstract and concrete ideals. This analysis will regard both foreign perspectives as well as that of native Chinese, catering to both the guests and the staff. In summary, however, at the Holiday Inn in the Haidian District, I have found that among the staff, there is more of a positive, professional atmosphere, whereas among the guests there is more of an entitled, indifferent attitude than what one would normally observe in an American hotel of the same par.

Here is an additional video featuring a circumferencial view of the Holiday Inn’s lobby.