Weaving Narratives

June Yip in “Constructing a Nation: Taiwanese History and Films of Hou Hsiao-Hsien” argues that history should no longer be conceived as “univocal, seamless narrative but as a complex dialogic web of multiple, heterogeneous, and fragmentary stories that by chance touch, intersect, and sometimes contradict each other” (4). I believe this is just as important to keep in mind in cross-cultural understanding. There is not just one overarching and complete narrative for each culture.

For me and my conversation partner Melody, it was impossible for our lives and experiences to not intersect with the two films that we watched,¬†A Walk to Remember¬†and Under the Hawthorn Tree. We drew connections to the characters and their situations from our perspectives and perceptions of our cultures. I decided to use Pinterest to trace and visually represent our conversations with each other. Each comment and photo represents a “fragment” of our conversation or what Jean-Francois Lyotard would call one of the”wisps of narratives” between the cultures of China and America. Click on the image below to head to the Pinterest board.