China and India

India

According to the Government of India’s press release, unemployment rates are as low at 3.8%.

After much thought and researching and pondering, it seems like I have arrived at my final research topic. Before I reveal it, I want to give a shout out to my dad for helping me arrive at my final research topic. He’s been a great help in leading me in a relevant and interesting topic. This summer in Beijing I want to research bi-lateral trade and relations between China and India. These two countries are on the rise in the new century with a growing population and expanding economies. I have great interests in both countries and look forward to hearing different perspectives on many of the projects the counties are working on together.

Now, as much as I hate to link you to the Wikipedia page, the site gives a general overview of the relations between the two countries. Now that both China and India are part of the BRICS summit, they can benefit from each other more. Here is a nice analysis of the relationship between the two countries.

India and China have a past of border disputes in the northern region of India and have even fought a war in 1962. On the territorial topics, India and China have a lot to work on. The Chinese recently put up a plan to build a dam that may restrict fresh water access into the Brahmaputra river. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh specifically discussed this with President Xi Jin Ping on his last visit. But with all this aside, I think trade, business, and diplomatic relations can, and should grow from this. Recently, India and China and the other BRICS nations have had talks about establishing a BRICS development bank almost in competition to the IMF and World Bank. But China has still yet to allow India a permanent seat on the UN security council. While there are differences between these two nations, the charming nature of their economic progress will only lead them to cooperate and work together in the future.

During my stay in China, I plan on researching the many opinions professionals have regarding this topic. How do corporate businessmen view India versus merchants at a bazaar? Or how do students at Tsinghua University view their counterparts in India, who are equally qualified and competing for the same jobs? I have yet a write a research plan, but I hope to gain a better understanding of what is stalling a functional bi-lateral trade between the two of the most powerful economies in the world.

P.S. My friend Kedar Pavgi wrote an article for World Politics Review where he argues that the BRICS development bank is ‘doomed to fail.’ Read his article here!