Delving into China

A summer in Beijing. A chance to study at a foreign university.  The ability to observe the people and culture in action.  For a Chinese major, this is a dream come true.  Ever since I began taking Chinese, maybe even before then, I have wanted desperately to go to China.  While I have studied abroad before, I have never been to the mainland and my desire to visit has not waned.

In addressing what it was I wanted to study while in China, I looked towards my interests and passions.  When I was in High School, I had three great loves, psychology, theater, and Chinese language and culture.  The transition from High School to College helped to focus and hone these three passions down, leaving Chinese language and culture and Psychology.  Thus, it makes sense that my project would come out of one of these two passions.  Pertaining to Chinese language and culture, I am particularly interested in translating work.  A couple of years ago I read in the Chinese branch of BBC that the Chinese government was considering banning words directly translated from another language, like Facebook to 脸书, from being incorporated into Chinese.  I would be interested in looking at the difference of the use of these directly translated words between generations.  I would also consider looking at the incorporation of words taken directly from another language, like the English use of the word rendez-vous.  While this project is indeed interesting to me, I found myself more drawn to a different subject of observation.

On the side of Psychology, I found the way abnormal psychology presents in other Depressioncultures particular fascinating.  As I have read in my studies, depression in particular appears very differently in collectivist cultures than in individualistic cultures.  Most research has noted that depression presents more physical symptoms, general pain and tiredness, in collectivist cultures and more cognitive symptoms in individualistic cultures, such as sadness or emptiness.

I am not sure whether or not this is a viable road to follow as far as rich and deep research.  I am aware that Tsing Hua has a Hospital on Campus and am in the preliminary stages of finding out whether or not Tsing Hua’s Hospital has a Mental Health branch.  However, if this leads to nowhere, I plan to discover whether or not there are other Mental Health hospitals in the area which has patients who will allow me to talk with them.  I am excited to see whether or not this research will pan out.