Katharine Sperandio

Howdy! My name is Katharine Sperandio and I am a first year graduate student in the Community Counseling–Addictions program. So far, I have really enjoyed my time here at William and Mary. I was born and raised in Texas. As much as I miss my Tex-Mex, seeing cows everywhere, country dancing, and my family, I have fully taken pleasure in becoming acquainted with the Virginia “culture” and am so pleased I took the leap of faith 5 months ago and moved halfway across the country.

I got my Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology from Texas A&M University (Go Aggies) and went on a small hiatus from school for about a year to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. During that year, I helped people with disabilities try to obtain independent lives. I used a more person-centered approach in allowing the people I worked with to make their own goals.  I helped my consumers pave the road towards reaching independence, however they defined the term. I came into contact with people of all ages and every kind of disability you can think of. During that year, I learned that I wanted to go into the counseling field and so here I am now! In my life, I have had experience in interacting with people who have addictions and I’ve always been drawn to acquiring the knowledge to help them in the best way I can. I am so fascinated with how addiction can take over the human brain and how to re-train the brain to not have the intense cravings for the substance of choice. I hope to work in a rehab center upon graduation and possibly going back to school to earn a doctoral degree (but that’s a long way from now since I would like to spend more time in the real world before going back to school for another 4, 5, or 6 years).

In my free time, I enjoy riding horses, eating every kind of food you can think of, traveling, spending time with friends, watching classic TV shows (such as Everybody Loves Raymond and The Cosby Show), and learning as much as I can about other people.

I have traveled to numerous countries before (Italy, Germany, England, Japan, Mexico, Canada, and France) but I have never been to China so I am very excited to add that to my traveling resume. I am fascinated by differences among cultures and can’t wait to see what it’s like in that part of the world. 558832_2170675116919_1483112879_n