Jim Barber

James P. Barber, Ph.D. | Assistant Professor of Education, Higher Education ProgramI am an assistant professor in the Higher Education Program at the W&M School of Education.  I have a great interest in Chinese education, and I look forward to teaching the EDUC 500 class and leading our trip to China this semester.  I came to William and Mary in 2010 from the University of Michigan, where I earned my Ph.D. from the Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education. At Michigan, I held research positions with the Wabash National Study of Liberal Arts Education and the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching.

I had the opportunity to visit Beijing and Tianjin in 2006 as a doctoral student and participated in seminars and meetings at a number of institutions, including Peking, Beijing Normal, Renmin, Tsinghua, Nankai, and Tianjin Normal universities, as well as the Chinese Ministry of Education.  In addition, I was a contributor to the 2010 Michigan-China University Leadership Forum, a two-week program focusing on building world-class research universities, designed and hosted by the University of Michigan for executive leaders of Chinese universities.

At W&M, I teach courses exploring college student development, educational assessment, and integrative learning. My research involves student development theory, integrative teaching and learning, fraternity/sorority experiences, and international comparative study.